Help us celebrate 30 years of Conservation
We are celebrating 30 years of conserving Nevada's lands and waters by getting out and giving back to nature through volunteer events across the state.
Look for an event near you. Click on the dates below to get more details, and check back often for more dates that will be added to this list.
- April 12, 2014 at Clark County Wetlands Park in Las Vegas
- Second Saturday of Each Month at County Wetlands Park in Las Vegas (See photos from our recent volunteer day.)
- April 5, 2014 at Tracy Restoration Site on the Truckee River
- April 13, 2014 at Tracy Restoration Site on the Truckee River
- April 19, 2014 at Tracy Restoration Site on the Truckee River
- April 26, 2014 at Tracy Restoration Site on the Truckee River
- May 10, 2014 at McCarran Ranch Preserve on the Truckee River
Volunteers in Nevada
There are many ways to get involved in helping the Conservancy fulfill its mission in Nevada. We work with anyone who is interested at our community volunteer days, and we're always looking to engage corporate partners through volunteer events, too. Watch this recent video produced by one of our local corporate volunteer partners, Patagonia, to see our work in action. Our other corporate volunteer partners have included Starbucks Carson Valley Roasting Plant, Caesars Entertainment, Wells Fargo, and NV Energy.
In addition to volunteer events focused on restoration and conservation work – what we like to call “hands-in-dirt” projects – we are also always looking for and open to other types of volunteering you may be interested in.
Examples of this would include but are certainly not limited to:
- Photography of preserves and/or work taking place.
- In-office help with filing, clerical, and general staff support work.
- Specialized support of staff such as GIS mapping, monitoring of research projects, etc.
- Helping with community outreach & volunteer events, acting as a docent at a preserve, or leading tours.
The Conservancy will provide all the tools, but think about bringing:
- Work gloves
- Solid, sturdy shoes.
- Sunscreen and/or sun hat
- Water and a small snack
- Lots of energy!
Also, you can download and print a volunteer waiver form to fill out in order to participate.
Please note that minors need to be accompanied by an adult.
The Nature Conservancy’s partnership with Patagonia, Inc. extends beyond working with sheep ranchers in South America who provide wool for Patagonia’s outdoor clothing. Here in Nevada, volunteers from the Patagonia Reno Distribution Center have put in more than 350 hours restoring wetland areas at McCarran Ranch Preserve on the Truckee River.
Featured Volunteer: Ben Smith
Read about Ben, a college student who came to the Conservancy’s Independence Lake Preserve to volunteer for a week to help with data collection for our ongoing scientific research and ended up staying the whole summer. Learn more.
Thank You Volunteers!
A big thank you to all the volunteers who have been doing such great! With your help we are able to make great strides forward in the conservation and restoration work across Nevada.
Sign up by filling out our volunteer form and be the first to know about our upcoming volunteer days, or check back to this page for additional information on upcoming opportunities.
For More Information
Contact Martin Swinehart
Volunteer Coordinator for The Nature Conservancy in Nevada