1957: The Nature Conservancy’s first land purchase in Minnesota is the 80-acre Caledonia Oaks tract in Houston County, 30 miles south of Winona.
1958: The Conservancy’s Minnesota Chapter is formally established. Founding chapter trustees include Dr. Walter Breckenridge, Robert Janssen, Sigurd Olson and Dr. Max Partch.
1959: The Minnesota Chapter’s first annual meeting is held.
1960: The Conservancy purchases its first prairie tract in Minnesota—Malmberg Prairie in Polk County. This 80-acre virgin prairie is a small remnant of the vast sea of grass that once covered the Red River Valley.
The Minnesota Chapter has 50 paid members.
1962: The Conservancy conducts its first prescribed burn in the U.S., at Helen Allison Savanna in Anoka County.
1968: First publication of a formally organized and edited newsletter of the Minnesota Chapter. The Schaefer Prairie fund drive and the Helen Allison Memorial are both featured.
Wallace Dayton begins his first term on the Minnesota Board of Trustees. His decision to provide major financial support to the Conservancy was an important step in the growth of the chapter.
May 30, 2012