Lake Alexander Open House
August 09, 2014
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
7163 Bear Road
Cushing, Minnesota | Show Directions
From Little Falls:
- Take U.S. Highway 10 north for 15 miles until you reach Cushing.
- At Cushing, drive north on County Road 5 for five miles to the preserve site.
- Park along the side of any of the gated road approaches.
Nearest services are in Cushing, Little Falls and Brainerd.
The open house includes presentations about the Conservancy’s work to protect the Lakes Area, the Mississippi River Headwaters Area and our Lake Alexander Nature Preserve.
- Todd Holman, central Minnesota program director, will welcome participants.
- Doug Shaw, The Nature Conservancy in Minnesota’s assistant state director, will give a presentation on freshwater conservation in the region and provide an overview of how the Conservancy looks at protecting and managing land through the context of its impact on freshwater systems.
- Matt Graeve, land steward and burn boss for the Conservancy, will provide an update on stewardship work at the Lake Alexander Nature Preserve.
- Participants will be treated to a picnic lunch before having an opportunity to hike and explore the nature preserve.
The 1,734-acre Lake Alexander Nature Preserve, located just west of Crow Wing County and the Brainerd Lakes area, is part of a 180,000-acre mosaic of red and white pines, wetlands and hardwood forests, and is one of the Conservancy’s great success stories in Minnesota.
Wear comfortable shoes and a hat; bring a camera and binoculars. Watch the weather and dress appropriately. The event will happen rain or shine.
Please RSVP to Todd Holman at firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a message at (320) 867-3140.