Share this graphic on your Facebook page and show your support for Team Nature!
The Nature Conservancy’s Team Nature is joining the Marine Corps Marathon on October 28, 2012. We want to make “the people’s marathon,” as the Marine Corps event is often known, a marathon for people and nature.
The 26.2-mile MCM course passes by some of our most treasured national monuments and is within easy driving distance of the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia Coast Reserve and Central Appalachians – all places the Conservancy works to protect and restore.
Want to support Team Nature runners participating in the Marine Corps Marathon including active and reserve members of the military? Check out their stories and help them reach their goals.
Here’s what each Team Nature runner's $400 donation to The Nature Conservancy may help us accomplish:
- Restore more than 2,000 baby oysters to reefs in the Chesapeake Bay, providing habitat for rockfish and crabs.
- Buy 2,000 longleaf pine seedlings to plant, helping restore one of America’s most diverse and endangered forest systems.
- Conduct a prescribed burn on four acres at Warm Springs Mountain Preserve to help restore pine-oak forests.
- And when you help us reach our collective MCM goal of $30,000, your efforts will help protect even more lands and waters for the benefit of people and nature.
Team Nature Benefits and Green Tips
- Run in the great outdoors and get close to nature!
- Reduce your carbon footprint: Start your run from home or work vs. driving.
- Take public transportation or carpool to races.
- Avoid excess paper and plastic: Sign up for races online and look for virtual goodie bags.
- Use water belts or reusable water bottles.
- Buy powdered sports drinks and mix your own — avoid waste from single-use bottles and save money!
- Recycle your running shoes and gear.
- Become a Facebook fan of the Conservancy in D.C., Maryland and Virginia and share your green tips today!
No Federal or Marine Corps endorsement of advertisers or sponsors is implied.