An Audio Tour Slideshow
Welcome to The Nature Conservancy's Berry Woods Preserve. We hope you enjoy this tour of this remarkable preserve. We'll offer a glimpse of the preserve's human and natural history.
Berry Woods was first protected in 2004 through a generous donation of 217 acres. It is now 377 acres, including forest and shoreline.
A feldspar mine operated here in the early 1900s. Today, there's little sign remaining of the operation.
This large, old sugar maple was probably planted in the 1800s.
Daily tidal flooding brings beneficial sediments and nutrients to the marsh, along with water supply for salt-tolerant plants.
Uprooted trees here were brought down in a wind phenomena called a micro-burst, which occurred here in July 2010.
Since the July 2010 micro-burst, uprooted trees like this have created openings in the forest and allowed other trees to thrive.
This cluster of beech trees is infected by beech bark disease, which came from Europe to this continent in 1920. Young beech trees continue to sprout.
Here, the mighty Kennebec River meets the Gulf of Maine.