Nature is All of Us
“Conservation will succeed through what we each do as individuals, and through what we do collectively.”
- Mike Tetreault, Maine State Director
Your support has made a tangible difference for nature in 2013 — throughout Maine and around the world.
Here are just a few of our accomplishments in 2013, thanks to you!
- Maine Natural Resource Conservation Program: Helped Forest Society of Maine and Van Buren Water District conserve 350 acres in Violette Brook.*
- Completed 1,000 fish passage assessments on Aroostook and three other rivers.
- Released analysis of 15-year sustainable forestry program in St. John River Forest.
- Collaborated on Moose Brook fish passage at Houlton.
- Rebuilt trail to #5 Mountain at Leuthold Forest Preserve.
- Conserved more than 62,330 acres of Northern Appalachian forests, from NY to Maine.
- Appointed to Maine DMR Marine Resources Advisory Committee.
- Participated in state Rockweed Management Planning Team.
- Helped include Portland Fish Exchange in November ballot measure.
- Helped protect budgets for state conservation agencies and programs.
- Mill Pond Preserve: acquired in-holding and removed house.
- MNRCP: Helped Western Foothills Land Trust conserve 14 acres in Harrison.*
- MNRCP: Helped Kennebec Estuary Land Trust conserve 63 acres in Georgetown.*
- Built 1.5 miles of hiking trails at Loring Conant Preserve.
- MNRCP: Helped Scarborough Land Trust preserve 160 acres.*
- Rebuilt boardwalk trail, added 48 acres at Saco Heath.
- Assisted Wells Reserve to open Branch Brook to searun fish.
- Applied prescribed fire to 100 acres at three sites.
- MNRCP: Helped Great Works Land Trust conserve 37 acres.*
- MNRCP: Helped Orono Land Trust preserve 313 acres in Caribou Bog.*
- MNRCP: Helped Bangor Land Trust preserve 30 acres in Penjajawoc Marsh.*
- Marked the beginning of removal of Veazie Dam.
- MNRCP: Helped Atlantic Salmon Federation complete second fishway on Blackman Stream.*
- Studied sea lampreys’ role in river restoration.
- Worked with a broad coalition to pass a bill to require fish passage on the St. Croix River.
- Supported Downeast Lakes Land Trust in protecting 21,870 acres near Grand Lake Stream.
- Started fish passage on Pokey Dam.
- MNRCP: Helped Pleasant River Wildlife Foundation preserve 137 acres in Washington County.*
- Restored fish passage to two streams at Spring River Preserve.
GULF OF MAINE
- Launched sea floor mapping project with Maine DMR and Tenants Harbor fishermen.
- Launched pilot to test fishery video monitoring technology.
- Initiated eelgrass restoration in Eliot.
- Expanded permit bank pilot into New Hampshire.
- Continued research to advance more sustainable fishing practices.
* Project of the Maine Natural Resources Conservation Program (MNRCP), which is administered by The Nature Conservancy.