Bison Day at Broken Kettle Grasslands Preserve
July 14, 2012
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Broken Kettle Grasslands Preserve | Show Directions
Broken Kettle Grasslands is located 16 miles north of Sioux City, Iowa along Highway 12.
- Drive north to Sioux City, continuing through Sioux City to State Highway 12 (exit 151)
- Go north on Highway 12 through the village of Riverside.
- After crossing the railroad in Riverside, turn left at the T-intersection, continuing north on Highway 12 (Sioux River Road) about 14 miles
- Continue north on Highway 12 about a half-mile past Butcher Road to a farm lane on the east side
- The preserve headquarters’ address is 24764 Highway 12
- Turn right (east) and follow the lane about a quarter-mile to the headquarters.
Please be aware there is ongoing construction on I-29.
Saturday, July 14th marks the second Bison Day event at The Nature Conservancy's Broken Kettle Grasslands Preserve. Located just north of Sioux City, Iowa, this Loess Hills preserve contains the largest remaining prairie in Iowa. Nearly 3,200 acres of Conservancy-owned land is home to 85 bison (including 21 new calves this year!), which began as a small herd of 28 when they were introduced in the fall of 2008.
There will be several guest presenters, covering a variety of topics:
- Jerome Kills Small - Native American storyteller
- Doug Chafa - Fire Equipment Demonstration
- Dan Fogell - Prairie Rattlesnake and Amphibian Exhibit
- Dawn Snyder & Bill Zales - Plant Hike
- Mike Greiner - Nature Photography with a short walk around the preserve
- George Cunningham - Aquatic Exploration
Several kids' activities, such as face painting, coloring, and a scavenger hunt, will be taking place throughout the day. The popular Bison Tour will give visitors the unique opportunity to see the bison in their natural habitat from the safety of hay ride. Be sure to arrive early and reserve your spot on the bison tour!
Check back here or Facebook for updates as we get closer to Bison Day!