Click on the photo above to see a map and images of each hunt site at the Emiquon Preserve.
The Emiquon Preserve is private property owned and managed by the Illinois Chapter of The Nature Conservancy for ecological purposes. Waterfowl hunting privileges are being offered as a public service. For this hunting program at the Preserve, any and all decisions of Conservancy staff or designees are final, and anyone failing to abide by written rules or instructions from Conservancy staff or designees may have hunting privileges at this Preserve revoked. The Conservancy retains the right to modify these rules and to terminate this program without prior notice
1. Limited public Youth Waterfowl Hunting opportunities for Saturday October 19th will be allocated by an advanced drawing.
- Maximum of 4 people, including the youth, allowed per site.
- Applications for Youth drawing must be received by October 14th .
- Drawing will be on October 15th.
- Individuals may submit only one application for the Youth Waterfowl Hunt.
- Registering by phone is not permitted.
- Although consideration will be given to your preferences, we don’t guarantee you will get your preferred site.
- Failure to include all information may disqualify you from the drawing.
- To register for the Youth Hunt Advanced Drawing, email or mail the following:
- -Name -Address -Phone Number -Email Address
- -Indicate FOR YOUTH HUNT SATURDAY OCTOBER 19th
- -Names of those hunting with you - Site # preference(s) see map
- Emiquon Preserve Waiver Identification Card # if you have one:
- Email the above to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Illinois River Program Office 11304 N. Prairie Road, Lewistown, IL 61542.
2. The Conservancy will not charge any fees for hunting at this Preserve. Becoming a member of The Conservancy is encouraged.
3. All hunters must show proof of a valid hunting license and waterfowl stamps to be included in the drawing and/or to hunt.
4. Only waterfowl hunting is permitted at this time. Hunters must observe all State and Federal waterfowl regulations. Conservancy staff or designees may be present to ensure laws and rules are observed. Law violations will be reported to the Conservation Police. Violations of laws or these rules may exclude persons from future hunting opportunities at this Preserve.
5. Prior to accessing the hunting area, each hunter is required to sign a hunter liability waiver.
6. Hunters under 18 years of age must also have a liability waiver signed by his/her legal parent or guardian and be accompanied by a responsible adult. The responsible adult assumes liability for all actions of the minor and must accompany said minor at all times while on the Preserve.
7. If you have already signed a 2013 Emiquon Preserve Liability Waivers obtained at Dickson Mounds Museum then include your Emiquon Preserve Waiver Identification Card number on your application. If not, waivers will be provided to those successfully drawn.
8. Prior to accessing the hunting area each hunter must fill out a permit and place on dash of vehicle you came to hunt in. Upon completion of the days hunt each hunter is required to individually complete the harvest record on the permit and place in drop box located at the Eveland Village site at Dickson Mounds Museum (see map). Failure to do so may exclude persons from future hunting opportunities at this Preserve.
9. Hunting will be allowed only in areas designated by Conservancy staff (see map).
10. Hunters must review the site maps. This Preserve has drainage ditches that may be hidden from view under the water. Always keep in mind the location of ditches. Observe extreme caution when wading in any waters.
11. Hunters must stay within their pre-assigned hunting areas and 50 yards of their stake, a minimum of 200 yards from any other group, and within 100 feet of the western shore of Thompson Lake.
12. Parking is permitted only at designated sites on the Preserve. Participants may drive only on established/marked roadways (see map). Parking is allowed only on the east side of Clark Road.
13. A drawn individual must occupy the hunting area he/she selects--they cannot participate in the drawing and then relinquish the site to participant(s) of their choosing.
14. ATVs are not allowed unless otherwise specified for advanced drawing hunts.
15. The public is not allowed to have gas-powered motors on boats. A boat ramp is available on site at the southern most parking lot in Visitor Use Areas.
16. Only artificial blind materials such as lay outs or camouflage netting are allowed. No person may bring natural blind materials onto the Preserve.
17. Prohibited activities include unnecessary shooting or shooting at targets; possession of alcohol; dumping of ashes, trash, garbage, chemical waste or other materials; camping; and open fires.
18. Respect the privilege of hunting on this private property and the rights and safety of fellow hunters.
19. Remove all spent shotgun casings and litter from your hunting site.
20. Hunting ends promptly at 12:00 noon and hunters must vacate the Preserve by 1:00 PM. All equipment must be removed from the Preserve each day at the conclusion of the hunt.
21. There shall be no cutting, breaking or clearing of vegetation.
22. Collection of Native American artifacts, plants, animals other than legally taken waterfowl, rocks, fossils, or other materials is prohibited.
It is approximately 6 miles to the nearest hospital—Mason District Hospital in Havana (309.543.4431 or dial 911).
To contact Illinois Department of Natural Resources Conservation Police call the Fulton County Sheriff at 309.547.2277.
For additional information, contact the Illinois River Program Office at Emiquon 309.547.2730 during office hours (Monday through Thursday).