When planning your picnic, think about the footprint you leave behind. Here are five easy ways to minimize your impact and keep your picnic green.
- Pack Reusable Tableware. Bring silverware from home, invest in bamboo tableware (it’s light, environmentally friendly and lasts for multiple picnics) or purchase biodegradable products that help reduce landfill waste.
- More Is Less. To cut down on waste, bring beverages in large containers rather than in individual bottles if you have a large group. Buy two-gallon jugs of water or ask everyone to bring a steel or aluminum water bottle from home. Bringing beer or wine? Try a 64-ounce growler of beer or some eco-friendly boxed wine.
- Walk or Carpool. Choose a picnic locale near your home, and expand your day to include a walk to your destination. Or use public transportation to reach your spot. For places that require a car, fill all your seats! Check out our list of five great places to carpool with friends and family.
- Pack Local, Fresh Ingredients. Plan your meal using organic, seasonal produce; grass-fed beef; sustainable seafood; and check out our recipe box to help plan your menu.
- Minimize Waste. Think finger foods or dishes that can be enjoyed by a group, rather than packing individually wrapped items. By keeping your packing light, there’s less to pack up when you leave.