Give a shout-out to your favorite GREEN restaurant by nominating them for a People's Choice Nature's Plate Award.
Nature's Plate Award is a people's choice online contest in which the public nominates their favorite "green" restaurants in identified locations based on the guidelines described below. The five restaurants in the identified locations that receive the most nominations will move into a semifinalist round in which the public will vote for their favorite among the top five.
The contest is presented by The Nature Conservancy, 4245 North Fairfax Drive, Arlington, Virginia 22203 (the "Conservancy").
1. Eligibility: Legal U.S. residents may nominate and vote for "full service" restaurants that they consider "green" in the states of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
2. Definitions and Guidelines: (a) A "full service" restaurant is defined as an establishment in which customers are seated, receive wait service, receive the meal at the table and are presented with a bill upon conclusion of the experience. (b) Consider all or any of the following guidelines of sustainable food practices when nominating restaurants:
- Sustainable seafood - Uses ocean-friendly seafood that comes from a sustainable source (not depleting fish populations)
- Free-range and grass-fed meat - Uses meat that is grass-fed, free-range, raised without antibiotics, organic and/or sustainably raised
- Organic - Uses organic produce or other organic food
- Local and seasonal - Uses regionally (within 300 miles) or locally (within 100 miles) grown produce
- Water - Serves tap water rather than bottled water
For further information about sustainable food practices and ingredients, visit:
Monterey Bay Aquarium:
Eat Well Guide:
The Nature Conservancy does not endorse, recommend or certify any restaurant as being green or sustainable.
3. How to Vote: Visit www.nature.org/naturesplate to complete the voting form for your state and submit.
There is a limit of one (1) vote per person.
4. Voting Period: The nominations voting round begins at 9 am EST on September 3, 2013, and ends at 5 pm PST on September 16, 2013. The finalist voting round begins at 9 am EST on October 1, 2013, and ends at 5 pm PST on October 15, 2013. Winners will be announced on October 17, 2013.
5. General Conditions: Nominations will be tallied by the Conservancy through an online database to determine the five semifinalists for each location. Only restaurants that meet any or all of the guidelines described above will be semifinalists. Nominations will be tallied by the Conservancy through an online database to determine the people’s choice for the Nature’s Plate Award.
The Nature Conservancy is a nonprofit, tax-exempt charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. For information about The Nature Conservancy’s sustainable food and agriculture work, visit www.nature.org.