Every year, Nature Conservancy staff and volunteers burn hundreds of thousands of acres, both on our own preserves and on partner lands. Over the years, our fire work has expanded to also include proactive policy reform, strategic science, and tackling the threat of altered fire dynamics across the U.S.
What We Do
Working together with partners, we:
- Use and promote Integrated Fire Management as a way to reconcile the fire-related needs of people and nature.
- Conduct scientific assessments to understand the causes and consequences of altered fire behavior.
- Develop site-based solutions to maintain and restore habitats that require fire to exist.
- Help governments and communities respond to fire issues by adopting an integrated, community-based approach that addresses the social, economic and ecological consequences of fire.
- Advance laws and policies that conserve fire’s natural role.