Volunteers Makeover Historic Osage County Bunkhouse
PAWHUSKA, OK – The 1920 historic bunkhouse at the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in Osage County received a makeover on October 16, 2012 when the Jubilee Quilters’ Guild of Bartlesville donated nine bed quilts reflecting the designs of the early 1900’s.
Oklahoma's Tallgrass Prairie Preserve, Pawhuska, Ok. | October 16, 2012
Twenty-eight guild members volunteered over 700 hours, 60+ yards of fabric, and 500 miles on the project. Grant funds from the National Quilting Association were used to purchase an additional 150 yards of fabric, 30 yards of batting, and quilting for the quilts and pillow shams.
“The quilts we made are traditional patterns and reproductions of fabrics that were in use when the bunkhouse was built,” Bunkhouse Project Chairman Lerlene Nevaril said. “We are honored The Nature Conservancy gave us the opportunity to contribute our handwork to an important piece of Oklahoma history and hope everyone who visits will come away with an appreciation for what we consider to be an important aspect of early American life.”
The quilts replace imported quilts not reflective of the history and status of the Bunkhouse. Prior to its purchase by the Nature Conservancy in 1989, the Preserve was called the Barnard Ranch which was part of the 100,000 acre Chapman-Barnard Ranch. The historic bunkhouse from the ranch remains on the preserve and was restored in 1992. The Bunkhouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 2, 2004.
“We are incredibly privileged to partner with the Jubilee Quilters’ Guild of Bartlesville,” State Director Mike Fuhr said. “The historic bunkhouse will radiate with their enthusiasm and talent for years to come. It’s volunteers and projects like these that continue the legacy and pride of Oklahoma.”
Each quilt has a label that reads as follows: Quilt Block Name, Made by Jubilee Quilters’ Guild, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, 2012. Made for the Barnard Ranch Bunkhouse, Tallgrass Prairie Preserve, Osage County, Oklahoma.
The Jubilee Quilters’ Guild was founded in 1982 by the Washington County Cultural Arts Committee. In 1983 the group became an independent organization and met quarterly. They made their first donation quilt in 1984. The guild’s first quilt show was held in 1989, and shows are still held in odd years. The guild has a membership of 85. The guild participates in the Quilts of Valor program which supplies quilts to servicemen. At the 2011 quilt show, visitors signed over 100 thank you squares which are being made into quilts for the Quilts of Valor program. The guild also makes and donates about 100 baby quilts each year to the Washington County Health Department for distribution to local families.
The Nature Conservancy has worked to conserve Oklahoma’s magnificent landscapes and unique biodiversity since 1986. Using a strategic, science-based planning process, called Conservation by Design, we identify landscapes that, if conserved, promise to conserve biodiversity over the long term. The Nature Conservancy of Oklahoma owns 11 preserves and protects over 90,000 acres. Visit the The Nature Conservancy of Oklahoma on the web at www.nature.org/oklahoma.
The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, and helping make cities more sustainable. Working in more than 65 countries, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.