A Vast Home to the Very Essence of Wildness in North America
The Northern Rockies is a place where pristine lands and waters stretch as far as the eye can see, where wolves howl in packs, grizzly bears roam prairies and Chinook salmon spawn in cold mountain streams. Amazingly, this beautiful 80-million-acre landscape contains almost all of the species that were there during the time of the Lewis and Clark expedition 200 years ago.
As one of the fastest growing regions in the U.S., the Northern Rockies is facing unprecedented threats from human encroachment. The population of the Greater Yellowstone region grew by 20 percent between 1990 and 2000. And the U.S. Forest Service estimates that more than 44 million acres of private forests will be developed over the next 30 years, more than half within 10 miles of a national forest. These startling trends could spell the end of the Northern Rockies’ magnificent wildlife, as many of its animals require large ranges and intact migration corridors to survive.
How The Nature Conservancy Works in the Northern Rockies
With a strong network of partners, The Nature Conservancy is working to conserve The Northern Rockies and create a network of wildlife corridors connecting large tracts of land. We are doing this in a variety of ways, such as:
- Acquiring land
- Identifying and protecting 1.2 million acres to connect larger protected areas
- Restoring fire cycles and other natural processes
- Promoting the sustainable management of working forests
With your $50 donation per acre to the Adopt an Acre® program, you will receive:
- Certificate with signature photo of the Northern Rockies commemorating your generosity
- Colorful fact sheet about the Northern Rockies
- Six issues of our award-winning Nature Conservancy magazine to keep you informed all year about the many places the Conservancy is working to protect.
- Great Places E-Newsletter subscription filled with local and global conservation updates, enviro-tips you can use and stunning nature photography.
Best of all, you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you're helping to protect this extraordinary wild habitat now and for future generations. Please Adopt an Acre today!
Give Adopt an Acre as a Gift
You can also give Adopt an Acre® as a gift. Your friend or loved one will adore this one-of-a-kind nature gift and enjoy it throughout the year. View all the benefits your gift recipient will receive.