Give Adopt a Coral Reef as a Gift
You can Adopt a Coral Reef as a gift. Your friend or loved one will adore this one-of-a-kind nature gift and enjoy it throughout the year. View all the benefits your gift recipient will receive.
Want to simply make a one time donation? You can do that, too.
Center of Coral Diversity
One of the most biologically diverse marine environments on the planet, Kimbe Bay is home to a wealth of colorful hard and soft corals, 12 different species of marine mammals and hundreds of species of fish. Scientists have recorded at least 860 species of coral reef fish in Kimbe Bay and more than half of the world's coral species can be found here. The bay's wide variety of marine habitats — coral reefs, mangroves, seagrasses, deep ocean waters and seamounts — make it an ideal home for whales, dolphins, turtles and sharks.
A World under Threat
Kimbe Bay is a prime target for exploitation by the destructive international live reef fish trade. In addition, climate change is causing sea levels to rise, which threatens to destroy the vital coastal habitats upon which many animals and people depend. Climate change is also responsible for massive coral bleaching events, where warmed ocean currents and too much sunlight penetrating the water turn corals white, brittle and lifeless.
How The Nature Conservancy Works in Papua New Guinea
With a strong network of partners, The Nature Conservancy is protecting Papua New Guinea’s Kimbe Bay. We are doing this in a variety of ways, such as:
- Establishing marine protected areas
- Protecting corals where reef fish gather to breed
- Helping local governments draft and implement legislation that enforces the protection of marine areas
With your $50 donation to the Adopt a Coral Reef program, you will receive:
- Certificate with signature photo of Papua New Guinea commemorating your generosity
- Colorful fact sheet about Papua New Guinea's coral reefs
- Six issues of our award-winning Nature Conservancy magazine to keep you informed all year about the many places the Conservancy is working to protect.
- Great Places E-Newsletter subscription filled with local and global conservation updates, enviro-tips you can use and stunning nature photography.
Best of all, you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you're helping to protect this extraordinary wild habitat now and for future generations. Please Adopt a Coral Reef today!