Give Adopt a Coral Reef as a Gift
You can Adopt a Coral Reef as a gift. Your friend or loved one will adore this one-of-a-kind nature gift and enjoy it throughout the year. View all the benefits your gift recipient will receive.
Want to simply make a one time donation? You can do that, too.
Rainforests of the Sea
Underneath the clear, blue Pacific waters surrounding the Republic of Palau, dazzling jewelfish swim alongside clownfish, wrasse and butterflyfish. The spectacular variety of corals — staghorn, tree, finger, brain and black coral — are a feast for the eyes and home to a stunning diversity of life. Palau supports an astounding 585 hard and soft corals, more than 300 species of sponges and nearly 1,300 varieties of reef fish. These coral reefs and waters are also home to gray reef sharks, moray eels and sea cucumbers, as well as endangered species like saltwater crocodiles, sea turtles and the dugong.
Treasures on the Brink
Palau's underwater gems face unprecedented threats from pollution, over-fishing, disease and warmer waters caused by climate change. When ocean temperatures increase, corals become stressed and eject their colorful algae, which is their primary source of food. Without the protection of the algae, corals turn white — or bleach — and are left vulnerable to sunlight, pollution and disease. With global temperatures only expected to rise, coral bleaching remains a constant threat, endangering sea life and the livelihoods of the local people.
How The Nature Conservancy Works in Palau
With the government of Palau and a strong network of partners, The Nature Conservancy is helping preserve at least 30 percent of near-shore marine resources by the year 2020. We are doing this in a variety of ways, such as:
- Identify the most critical marine areas to set aside for protection
- Improving long-term management of protected areas, particularly in the face of climate change
- Assisting state and traditional leaders with planning, monitoring and capacity building
With your $50 donation to the Adopt a Coral Reef program, you will receive:
- Certificate with signature photo of Palau commemorating your generosity
- Colorful fact sheet about Palau's coral reefs
- Six issues of our award winning Nature Conservancy magazine to keep you informed all year about the many places the Conservancy is working to protect.
- Great Places E-Newsletter subscription filled with local and global conservation updates, enviro-tips you can use and stunning nature photography.
Best of all, you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you're helping to protect this extraordinary wild habitat now and for future generations. Please Adopt a Coral Reef today!