Ancient Lands Where Lions, Cheetahs, Elephants and Wildebeests Roam
Shaped over millions of years by volcanoes, droughts and fires, the grasslands and savannas of Africa are home to a stunning array of wildlife. From the acacia-rich savannas of Kenya to the lush, wet grasslands of Zambia, these vibrant landscapes are home to a wealth of animals found nowhere else on Earth. Living alongside this rich diversity of wildlife are 40 million people who rely on this region for food, water and their livelihoods.
Today, these grasslands and savannas swarm with a variety of wildlife, yet they face unprecedented pressures. Increased demand for land is fragmenting the last remaining migratory routes for wildlife, while competition for resources is forcing people to change traditional lifestyles. Though significant areas of grasslands in Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia are technically under the protection of national parks and reserves, these areas are beset by lack of staffing, dwindling resources and inadequate management. This leaves the land and wildlife vulnerable to poachers, unregulated tourism and other threats. Outside these protected areas, animals face over-grazed rangeland and disappearing habitat.
How The Nature Conservancy Protects Africa's Grasslands and Savannas
With a strong network of partners, including the African Wildlife Foundation, the Lewa Conservancy and the Northern Rangelands Trust, The Nature Conservancy is working to protect Africa’s grasslands and savannas. We are doing this in a variety of ways, such as:
- Acquiring land
- Securing wildlife corridors
- Increasing staffing for protected areas
- Strengthening conservation management on 2 million acres of protected and private lands
- Providing conservation training and technology for local land trusts
- Developing sustainable income opportunities for local families through innovative conservation lease programs
With your $50 donation per acre to the Adopt an Acre® program, you will receive:
- Certificate with signature photo of Africa's Grasslands and Savannas commemorating your generosity
- Colorful fact sheet about Africa's Grasslands and Savannas
- Six issues of our award-winning Nature Conservancy magazine to keep you informed all year about the many places the Conservancy is working to protect.
- Great Places E-Newsletter subscription filled with local and global conservation updates, enviro-tips you can use and stunning nature photography.
Best of all, you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you're helping to protect this extraordinary wild habitat now and for future generations. Please Adopt an Acre today!
Give Adopt An Acre as a Gift
You can also give Adopt an Acre® as a gift. Your friend or loved one will adore this one-of-a-kind nature gift and enjoy it throughout the year. View all the benefits your gift recipient will receive.