You want to book your stay at a hotel that you know embodies sustainable methods, but what things should you ask to be sure your hotel is really green?
Check out our questions below and ask them of your hotel before you book your stay.
- Are you a member of the Green Hotels Association? This association encourages, promotes and supports the "greening" of the lodging industry through membership.
- Do you participate in a program that allows guests to choose not to have their towels and sheets washed daily?
- Do you hire locally?
- How efficient is your waste disposal? (Do you recycle? Do you compost?)
- What kind of water-saving strategies have you implemented? Does the hotel have low-flow shower heads? Low consumption toilets? Do you recycle your gray water?
- Do you source your food locally?
- Do you use organic cotton - or at least 100% cotton - in your linens? (Cotton blends are not as sustainable as 100% cotton because of their reliance on petrochemicals.)
- Is your structure energy-efficient, and how do you conserve energy on a daily basis? (e.g. Turning off lights when not in use.)
- Do you strive to plant native gardens on your property?
- Do you engage staff and guests about your environmental programs? Ensuring that staff are invested in the program can improve its success.