You can make a gift of appreciated securities—publicly traded stocks, bonds and mutual fund shares—to The Nature Conservancy while avoiding capital gains tax, diversifying your portfolio and/or securing a stream of income. It’s easy to do—fill out this online form to get started!
For personal assistance, contact us at (877) 812-3698 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated securities to The Nature Conservancy.
- The Nature Conservancy sells the securities and uses the proceeds to fund critical conservation work.
- Receive credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value (average high and low prices on the day of the transfer).
- Avoid capital gains tax.
- Direct your gift to a specific fund or purpose.
- Fund a charitable gift annuity or a unitrust that diversifies your portfolio and allows you to receive lifetime payments that equal or surpass the dividends the securities are paying now.
Please note that the securities you use to make your gift must have been held by you for more than one year to be fully deductible.
When you donate appreciated securities, you are able to deduct the gift as a charitable donation AND you avoid capital gains tax on the transfer. This double benefit allows you to leverage a larger donation by using appreciated securities rather than cash to make your gift. Here's how it works:
Assumptions: Donor in 33% Income Tax bracket; Capital Gains Tax rate 15%
$10,000 Stock Cost Basis $5,000
$15,000 Stock Cost Basis $7,500
Tax Savings @ 33%
Capital Gains Tax Saved
Net Cost of Gift
Transferring securities is a simple process, and our experts can help with every step. You’ll want to let us know that the gift is coming, and to what program or department you want us to apply it. Be sure to consult with your financial advisor.
There are different procedures for stocks and mutual funds.
- Contact The Nature Conservancy’s Stock Team via our online form.
- Draft a letter to your broker providing instructions for the stock transfer.
- If you hold the actual stock certificates, sign a stock power form for each certificate you contribute. Be sure to sign your name precisely as it appears on the certificate. When mailing the certificates, use two envelopes—one with the unendorsed certificates and the other with the completed stock power(s). Send them on the same day by certified mail to:
The Nature Conservancy
ATTN: Stock gift Manager
4245 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22203
- Follow the following stock transfer instructions:
Account name: The Nature Conservancy (Tax ID # 53-0242652)
Account number: 749-04834
DTC Number: 5198
George L. Balboa, Jr.
Merrill Lynch Balboa & Blevins Group
1152 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
- For mutual funds, we kindly ask that you or your broker contact us first so we can research and be sure these funds will be accepted into our account.
- Draft a letter to your broker providing instructions.
- Mutual fund transfers usually take longer to transfer. The Conservancy may even need to create an account with the mutual fund company before the transfer can occur.
Creative Plans for Securities Gifts
Use your gift of appreciated securities to fund a life-income gift at The Nature Conservancy like a charitable gift annuity or a unitrust. Pay no upfront capital gains tax on the transfer, and receive lifetime payments from your gift plan that equal or surpass the dividends the securities are paying now. The result? You make a gift to The Nature Conservancy while diversifying your portfolio and securing a stream of income.
- See the gift that's right for you based on your goals.
- Take a look at all of your gift possibilities.
You can protect forests and other natural places by making a planned gift with The Nature Conservancy. Contact us at (877) 812-3698 or email@example.com.