Sure, packing a lunch is a great way to save money, but who knew it could help save the planet?
It can if you use it to limit the amount of garbage you send to the landfill on a daily basis. Here are some tips to help you pack a trashless lunch.
- Use a bowl or plate from home, or containers with lids, for main dishes and snacks
- Pack an aluminum water bottle (yes, you can put other drinks in there if you want)
- Sticking stuff between two pieces of bread? Find a reusable sandwich container instead of plastic bags
- Bring utensils from home (and don’t forget to bring them back)
- Apples, bananas, and oranges are just a few foods that don’t need anything to hold them, so try throwing them in your lunch
Now you know how it’s done, so do it. And try to make a habit of packing a lunch that'll fill you up without filling the dump.
Pick a day (or two, or five) next week and pack a Trashless Lunch.
Send a Tweet or post on Facebook challenging your friends to do the same.
Just click the arrow up there in the blue section. It's like playing action roulette. Good luck!
You don’t really want a bunch of garbage in your lunchbox, do you?