Food Deserts: Causes, Consequences and Solutions
Contributed By: Teaching Tolerance
Students are encouraged to examine their personal access to a healthy diet, compare prices of common staple items among different retail options, and analyze the causes and consequences of food deserts locally and nationally. Finally, students are asked to come up with solutions to help the food desert that is closest to
Asks these essential questions:
- How does our neighborhood influence the choices we make about our health?
- How would not having a grocery store near your home affect you?
- What are the causes of obesity?
- What does it mean to have a healthy diet?
- What criteria might supermarket chains use to decide where to build stores?